Friday 27 January 2012

Writing Pieces

I have written a few pieces over the last few days, and I think now is a good time to post them.


Yellow Rain
25 January 2012

One afternoon, I sat on the porch, in a swing chair, watching the rain. Rain, rain, rain. It came down hard. The skies were grey, and the sun was nowhere in sight. I put my foot on the ground to swing the seat. Swinging slowly back and forth, I started to get sleepy. My eyes were getting harder and harder to keep open. Suddenly, I noticed the rain didn’t look the same. The puddles in the gutter weren’t clear, or grey, they were a dirty yellow colour. I’d heard about acid rain, but was it really yellow? It looked more like lemonade. Now that I thought about it, the air smelt like lemonade too. Would it taste like lemonade? It still could be acid rain, and I could be burnt to a crisp. Was it worth it?

Without realizing it, I had already gotten off the swing chair, and was walking towards the yellow rain. Slowly, I poked a finger out towards the rain. A raindrop landed on my finger. At least now I knew it wasn’t acid rain. But was it lemonade? I licked the yellow raindrop off my finger. It was lemonade! I ran out into the front yard, standing there with my head tilted towards the sky, mouth wide open. I savored every drop that fell in my mouth.

Maybe I’m dreaming, I thought, half believing that that’s all it was. Nah, couldn’t be. My dreams never taste this good! I pinched my arm to prove it to myself. I’m not dreaming, I thought confidently. Then I woke up, lying on the swing chair, where I had fallen asleep watching the rain.  

The King’s Love
24 January 2012

Once, there was a girl. She thought she had everything. She thought she was good. She thought her life was perfect. But it wasn’t.
As she grew older, she realized that she didn’t have everything, and life wasn’t perfect, but she didn’t know what to do about it.
She was enslaved by the ruler of her world. She wasn’t perfect, and what she thought was hers wasn’t. It was all part of one thing. She had to work hard, to get things she couldn’t use, and didn’t need, but thought she needed. She felt stressed, worthless, and hopeless. She cried out for help.

Then, one day, a King arrives. He comes to her home and say “Child, I want you to be my Princess. You asked for help, and I want to give it. If you trust me, one day I will come fro you, and take you to a place far away, where you will be loved and cherished. I want you to be my Daughter, and live in my Palace. Just trust me, and all this will come to you. Will you trust me?”

The girl looked at the King, and saw a forever of happiness, and the love of a father, in his eyes. She trusted him completely.

“I may not come for a long time, but I will leave with you my Son. He loves you a lot, as much as I do, and paid the ruler of this land with blood so that he and I could come for you, and free you. He will stay with you, and be your Brother. If you trust him, and ask him for his help, he will help you, and do things you would never imagine.”
Then the King left, leaving his Son behind to watch over his new Princess.

The King’s Princess had a wonderful life, with her new Brother’s guidance. One day, the King came back for her. He lifted her into his golden carriage, and his Son got in beside her. He took his Daughter and his Son off to his magnificent palace, and even though his Daughter had never been there before, she still felt at home.

The Princess lived there forever with her Father, the King, her Brother, the King’s Son, and all the other Princes and Princesses that the King had called to him.

 This last one was written today, as part of a 100 word challenge. The challenge this week is based on a picture, this one to be specific. 

The piece itself, not including the title or date, is exactly 100 words. 

 
The Burger
 
27 January 2012

I grabbed my order from the counter and walked quickly to a table. When in a hurry, like I was, move fast. I sat down at the table, took my meal out of the bag and frowned. They had forgotten my burger! “I need a burger over here!” I shouted. “Burger coming sir,” called a worker. I scowled, not seeing anyone. How could they say that a burger was coming, when it obviously wasn’t? My attention was caught by a pair of hands coming out of the wall, holding a burger. “Your burger, sir” said a voice out of nowhere. 

I would really appreciate an opinion on any or all my writing pieces, so don't hesitate to give yours. 

2 comments:

  1. In "The King's Love" your tense changes form past, to present, and then back to past again. Also, I think there could be more of a plot there. I know you said you don't like to write long stories, but have you thought about going back to a story and adding more? So maybe you won't feel the same type of pressure or dislike?

    And thanks for the mention in the other post =) I'm exactly like you about the followers thing, but (as I read in one blooger's post) the more posts you write the more chance you have of getting more attention towards your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me about the tense change. I hadn't noticed. I'm not sure where I would start in extending a story, as I have never tried before. Thanks a lot for reading, following and commenting on my blog. I really enjoy knowing that someone reads my blog.

      Delete