Wednesday 14 March 2012

March 14

Last night at square dancing, the lights went out. All over the area, the power was out, even the streetlights. It was so cool! I wanted to keep dancing, but it was apparently too dangerous. I guess I can understand that. That was last night, and nothing interesting has happened today. I had some crazy weird dreams last night, because of a few conversations I had, but nothing interesting today. It was productive, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to hear all the details of my work.

So, on to today's miracle. I don't have a personal miracle today; this is another miracle I've read about. It is pretty cool though, and I hope it touches you.

A Lodge Ring for Dad
By Mary Sherman Hilbert

 My dad was frugal about some things, and he wouldn't spend much on himself. For instance, although he was devoted to his lodge, he wouldn't indulge in a lodge ring. But his love for his children, especially my brother Bob, was extravagant. 
When World War II broke out, my handsome, fearless brother became a Marine fighter pilot. Early in 1944, he died under enemy fire in the South Pacific. 
Mother's faith sustained her, but my father aged before our very eyes. He began missing work. He lost interest in things. He even stopped going to his lodge meetings. 
As Christmas approached, Mother and I worried more and more about Dad. The holiday had been Bob's favorite; his Christmas surprises were legendary: a doll house made at school for me, a puppy hidden away for his little brother, an expensive dress for Mother bought with the first money Bob ever earned. 
Dad's grief continued to drain his strength. Mother and I prayed together, "Dear God, help us through Christmas." 
On December 23rd, an official looking package from the government arrived; it contained Bob's personal effects. Dad watched grimly as Mother unwrapped Bob's dress uniform. As she refolded it to pack it away, she automatically went through the pockets. 
"What's this?" she murmured suddenly. Then, with a little cry, she handed it to Dad. 
I'll never forget the look that transformed his face into a blend of wonder, hope, and healing, as if Bob was still with us. 
In his hand, he held a neatly folded fifty dollar bill with a note on it in Bob's handwriting: for Dad's lodge ring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment